Do’s and Don’ts of #hashtag for social media marketing
What is #hashtag? As you already know, Hashtag is “a word or phrase preceded by a hash sign (#), used on social media websites and applications, especially Twitter, to identify messages on a specific topic.” The first hashtag was posted by Chris Messina on 24th August 2007.
Hashtags were then adopted by other leading social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and more. Now, hashtags are everywhere! Anyone who clicks on a hashtag or searches for it will find meaningful information with all the posts tagged with it.
how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #barcamp [msg]?— Chris Messina (@chrismessina) August 23, 2007
Reasons to use HASHTAGSWhy do people use hashtags? There are a few of various reasons.
1. To make your post more discoverable and get more engagementA study says that posts with at least one hashtag can get average 12.6% more engagement. Anyone who clicks on a hashtag or searches for it will find meaningful information with all the posts tagged with it. This way an individual who is not your fan or follower can find your content. Hashtags help to draw attention to your posts and encourage interactions.
2. Hashtags promote relevant content from other people and businessesYou can scan through which hashtags your favourite influencers are using, and find it to be both popular and highly relevant to your audience. Once you find good hashtags then you can use them on your post to expand your discoverability. You can also find hashtags on Hashtagify.me. It is a tool to search for the popular and trending hashtags.
3. To run a marketing campaign effectively#ShareACoke is a remarkable hashtag campaign by Coca-cola. It is still known to be extremely effective to the audience. It is a campaign that allows customers to print their name on Coca-cola bottle labels, so that they can order their personalized Coke. After a celebrity, Scott Lake, who was given a bottle with his name tweeted with a hashtag, a large number of people got encouraged to share their experiences and stories on social media platforms with the hashtag #ShareACoke. Within six months of launching, there were 330 million impressions on Twitter, with nearly 170,000 tweets from 160,000 fans. A unique hashtag related to a strong campaign can give the audience a way to interact with each other and boost it more effectively. Now that we know how useful hashtags are, here are some tips for you to help your social media marketing to success through the use of hashtags. First of all, there are some simple rules to use #hashtags.
- # symbol before a keyword
- No space and punctuation
DO’sPut an appropriate number of hashtags on every social media platform. Although there are various theories, every social media has the best number of hashtags.
- Facebook / Twitter: 1-2 hashtags per post / tweet
- Pinterest / Google+: 2-3 hashtags per pin / post
- Instagram: 10-11 hashtags